GHAZIABAD: A septuagenarian was burnt to death in a fire that broke out in his first-floor flat in Indrapuri colony late on Tuesday night, police said. The victim was debilitated by multiple illnesses and could not manage to escape. His badly charred body was found on the bed after fire department officials doused the blaze. All the furniture in the room was also gutted.The two-room flat, according to the police, caught fire apparently due to a short circuit around 8.15 pm and the flames quickly engulfed the entire floor where 75-year-old Ram Aasre Aggarwal, who had retired from SBI as a manager, lived alone.His son, Deepak, who lives with his family on the ground floor of the same building, told police that Aggarwal was having dinner when the fire broke out.”My wife had served him dinner around 8pm on Tuesday. Around 15 minutes later, we heard his screams. When we rushed to the first floor, we found smoke and flames billowing out of his room. I tried to push open the door, but it had caught fire and would not give away. My father was debilitated by multiple illnesses and remained stuck inside,” he said.A team of fire department officials reached the house around 8.30 pm and it took them 20 minutes to douse the blaze completely. Aggarwal’s charred body was found on the bed by the team.Initial probe indicates that the fire broke out due to a short circuit and the senior citizen was stuck inside the room, police said.