Common University Entrance Test (CUET) papers were postponed yet again at two centres in Delhi on Thursday, the second day of Phase 4 of the exam.
On Wednesday, day one of Phase 4, papers were postponed in 13 centres across the country, of which 8 were in Delhi. On Thursday, in two of these 8 centres — MD Indraprastha Senior Secondary Public School and Noble Exam Centre, both in Rohini — candidates were met once again with a notice from the National Testing Agency (NTA) stating that papers in both shifts at the centre for the day were postponed due to “technical/logistical reasons”.
“I had not received any SMS or email informing me of cancellation, so I reached the centre at 7 am. We didn’t end up even entering the centre and at 8.10, the notification was put up,” said Ankit Jha, who had papers at Noble Exam Centre Thursday morning.
Students in other cities also reported exam cancellations. Anvi Jain, who had papers scheduled for Thursday afternoon at Integral University Lucknow received an automated call on Wednesday evening telling her that her scheduled exam has been cancelled and that she will be informed of new dates later.
In the meantime, confusion broke out Thursday morning after many students who opted to appear for papers on August 30 reported that they received admit cards which stated that they had exams on August 17, 18 or 20 meaning, in many cases, that papers had already been conducted or were ongoing when they received it. Later in the day, these admit cards were no longer on their portals. Students with exams from August 17-20, but who had not been allotted centres in their cities of choice, were given the option by NTA to write those on August 30 in cities of choice.
“I’d chosen Delhi as my first preference. On August 13, I was informed NTA would not be able to give me a centre in Delhi for my August 17 exam; it took my consent to schedule it on August 30. Till yesterday I wasn’t able to download the admit card and the portal stated my exam is on August 30. But this morning, I downloaded the admit card which shows the date of my slot 1 exam as August 17, which means it’s over. I am extremely tense,” said Kirpesh Mishra. By noon, he reported this admit card was gone and the portal again stated he has given consent to give his exam on August 30. The same pattern was confirmed by multiple candidates to The Indian Express.
A senior NTA official told The Indian Express that it hasn’t issued any fresh admit cards after August 13. “We issued admit cards for the phase starting August 17 on August 13. We don’t keep changing dates at the back end. However, we are not dismissing any complaints at the moment and are verifying them. Students are advised to refer only to the official NTA website for authentic information,” the officer said.
According to a UGC statement, students affected by Thursday’s cancellations will be able to write papers on August 25.